Prologue to the post: As you know, we spent New Year's Eve worshipping with other people from the church. Earlier that evening, Josh and I were debating whether we should even go or not. When it's dark here, we don't really like to go out much. It's cold, and you have to take the bus, then the subway, then a cab or walk... (Josh's most hated thing about China: Taking at least 3 modes of transportation to get where you want to be.)
Back to the story. We're now part of the Shanghai House of Prayer (SHOP), which is the best equivalent of IHOP in Shanghai. (No, not the pancake restaurant. Click here.) They were expecting us since SHOP was leading this New Year's gathering for the church, so we decided to go.
Post: God always pulls through when you doubt Him the most. Thank you Jesus for this reason: we were with 200 people who love to worship the Lord. It was really... it felt like home without being home. Home as in Chris Tomlin's "Come Home Running."
Which brings me to my realization from that night: I desire to be around people who really love the Lord. Do you ever feel the same way? It has nothing to do with looks, coolness, skill or ability, popularity, personality, or all that other stuff that we generally find attractive. It has everything to do with the fact that in the heart of the other person there is a genuine love between him/her and God. And that... that I find myself wanting to gravitate towards. Their Source. I don't know how to explain except that I'm attracted to them!
At the end of the night, I wanted to meet lots of people. I wanted to introduce myself and ask them if they would be my friend. If we could sit together and just talk and think about Jesus and share about life in Shanghai.
*sigh* But, you know me. I'm too chicken. And a little socially... stunted?
Epilogue: This makes me think about Paul and how he writes in his letters that he remembers and is thankful towards church.
No comments:
Post a Comment