Monday, August 24, 2009

BATTLE ON: Josh and MK vs. Jetlag and Mold!

We finished training today at 3pm and I took a nap. didn't wake up till midnight. Right now it's 5 am. can't sleep... can't sleep...

It's going to be a LOOONG tuesday. Jetlag... I'm trying to fight you, but this time around, you're too powerful!

Our flight a super delayed (twice) and so we got in after midnight. We were excited to be back 'home' but came to an apartment that was all MOLDY! no wonder my mom keeps freaking out about my hmong clothes getting moldy in storage at the basement of 680 stewart ave.

have you ever battled mold? It's SICK! there was mold in places we still can't figure, like it was all over Josh's cubs baseball cap. it was in between pillows, yet the blanket on top was perfectly fine. it attacked our couch covers, but thankfully on the couch itself. my lunch bag, some of the shoes, the table top which our oven sits on...

so our apartment is a mess till we clean and scrub it down... *sigh*

Xanga is still broken. So we'll be posting here like usual now. Peace. Have a good tuesday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh, I found a website that lets you watch football games live. I think you can only watch them live. It is channelsurfing.net

Sorry about the moldy house. That's gross.

puns

Anonymous said...

glad you two are home safely. relax before you get down and dirty to clean! love you!

jj

Ncuab and Pajntsa said...

Moisture is the worst enemy for any living quarters. Moisture has to be getting into your appartment some how. Check under the sink, under & behind the fridge, drain pans for the fridge, check your windows for leaks, leaky toilets, showers, closets, wet clothes or dish rags, wet/damp carpet/rugs, etc. Moisture has be entering your apartment somehow. Also check your walls for discoloring because it could be a leaky pipe in the walls or if your neighbors accidently flooded their apartment.

It might be coming from the outside as well, check outside next time it rains to see if water is being drained from your apartment properly. Make sure there isn't a broken/clogged gutter/downspout routing water to your apartment.

If it's just really humid there, make sure you don't have too much water in your house plants next time you leave for a long period of time.

One way to combat/prevent mold, when you're leaving for a long time, is to set your AC to "auto-fan" or leave a bathroom/kitchen fan on. Air ventilation prevents mold from settling, as well as disperses radon, moisture, allergens, carbon monoxide, etc. If moisture is a living quater's worst enemy, then ventilation is it's best friend.

I've seen a lot cases of mold build up here in MN from work. I've seen mold in the weirdest places inside some homes like inside a purse, inside a vacuum, inside a Bible!

Let us know what happens!

sleicnodnad said...

Yep, moisture! I worked for a mold remediation company and that's what it feeds on. Some people use dehumidifiers, but I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find one in China. Maybe not? If the foundation has cracks in it then you'll just have to live with it. You can try to run a fan to help with drying. Do you guys have an HVAC system? You can try running the vents too. It might help. Mold is subjective so it may hurt you or it may not. You can easily clean most mold with soap and water or better, bleach and water.

Please keep us in your prayers. We're hoping to start a home Bible study in MN.

Enjoy!

Paiv said...

Hopefully it's not on your clothes that you packed away. Good luck getting the mold out. I always just throw out whatever is moldy.

Sorry I didn't call you before you left. I'm glad you made it there safely.

I'm still planning on coming. Let me know what your fall looks like so that I can get my visa paperwork done. And hopefully we can go to Japan?

I'm looking at November and December dates but will most likely come in November... possibly Thanksgiving and for 2 weeks after. If that doesn't work, how about around Christmas?

Unknown said...

fight it by eating it