Friday, May 8, 2009

the job

Teaching here is a very rewarding job. We wish that we could transplant some of you teachers from home and come over here. These days, we don't get off of work drained or tired. We come home and share stories from the day. (Actually, we eat lunch together most of the days now, too.) Yes, at times things are busy, but it's so enjoyable.

For example today. I had to teach the kids the word "negro" because it's in this weekend's story for reading. They know black people of course, but still get a little bit confused about being "African American." So I go into this long tangent on being Hmong American, etc, etc.

Then, when they finally get 'negro' they turn to the only dark skinned girl in our class, an Indian, they ask if she's negro. They don't get it that she's not even close, until I ask a Chinese kid, "Hey! Are you Japanese? Cause you look Japanese! You must be. Black hair, small eyes. "

It was really funny cause they get really embarrassed. Ask a Korean kid if he's Chinese, a Taiwanese kid if she's Filipino... their reactions are really funny! They blush, they giggle, they turn away. And the class thinks it's funny too cause they're like, "Of course she's not Japanese!"

Josh brings his guitar to class every once in a while, and the his students love it. They ask for 'American' songs all the time, like Jason Mraz and Fall Out Boy. (yes, that's the popular music that teens here listen too.) Josh's kids totally like him. I think I would too if I were them.

here's to the coming home count down!

3 comments:

www.isiahxiong.com said...

got your package delivered.

Unknown said...

nice, what if you guys bought a permanent residence there instead?

josh & mk said...

No way man. We don't think we'll be here so long. This is just a pit stop for now.