Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Finally!

Every morning we have 'milk service.' That means each teacher gets a carton of milk delivered to their desk. It's really stressed here to take care of yourself, eat, etc. (It is a rule in the primary grade that students MUST eat lunch. I supervise lunch for my class everyday.) So anyways, in our staff meeting today, we were informed that the company producer of our milk is also one of the recalled milk companies in the "Bad Milk in China" story. I'm amused by the way they just casually informed us.

We were assured that our fresh, daily milk is not contaminated, though. That said, you all know I don't drink milk. FYI, milk in China does not taste like milk in the US. To me, it's like... a yogurt drink. But don't take my full word on that.

It's been a good week. I like my students for the most part. I think I have the best class. I'll try to take some pictures, soon. I did make one of my students cry a lot today, though. At this school, TESTS are so important. Major test scores account for 60% of aa 3rd grader's grades. (Almost 90% for middle & high schoolers.) There are 4 major tests: 1st monthly, mid-term, 2nd monthly, and final exam. (Think: 3rd graders have the same schedule as high schoolers.)

So, there is one girl in my class who has not turned in any of her homework. I wrote a note home asking her parents to check it, and make sure she turns it all in, or else it could significantly affect her grade. She started crying a lot because she has to go to Korean school at night and on the weekends, and she has so much homework. It depressed me a little.

School is very different here.

Anyways, next week is a major testing week. And then the week after, we have vacation for National Day. (Chinese equivalent of 4th of July, except the whole country gets a week off instead of 1 day.) SO, Josh wants to go to the northwest, to Xi'an, with some friends. On the way home, the plan is to stop at the China's most renowed Shaolin Temple. We visit the amazing complex temple & get to watch them do kung fu. So... that's in the plans. We'll see if we follow through.

Peace.

No comments: