Sunday, March 8, 2009

to the victor goes the spoils

Congratulations to Team Illinois on a well earned victory. i'm glad for you guys, but mostly, i'm glad for the excuse to get MN peeps down to Illinois for a weekend of Magic/Mafia/Karaoke and BBQ at Sam and Geu's sometime.

I am glad that we are making such an effort to stay friends as we grow old. i see how our parents are not that close anymore and i dont want that to happen to us.

Isiah - proud of you bro! i knew you had it in you. wow! 7-0-1 thats an amazing record. the best part is you did it your own way with a deck you concocted by yourself. major props. also, i've always known you to be a great magic player, with a flare for the goofy deck.

NON MAGIC TALK

Church this weekend was awesome. mai kao and i attend SHOP (Shanghai House of Prayer) and we are so blessed to be part of that ministry. beholding is becoming. the reason why many Christians including myself don't live a life that reflects Christ in us is because we do not spend much or anytime at all beholding God (meaning looking at, trying to know). one thing that would make our friendships and relationships even stronger is if we were to be known as a group of friends who not only played together but prayed together too. i encourage us to pray for each other daily and keep each other accountable.

i will be starting a prayer list for our friends and i hope you'd like to join it. this is how it works. i'm going to make a list and you will be assigned one person to pray for a whole week. then following week i'll publish a new list with someone new to pray for. it will then be up to you to pray for and communicate with that particular person or family to find out what they need. i hope this works.

He must increase,
I must decrease,

Josh out.

4 comments:

Ncuab and Pajntsa said...

That's awesome news! AWESOME! It was good to see you guys on Skype over the weekend! It was halarious at times. For no reason at all, I would just laugh for no reason at all. It was great to have you there!

Hey, what kind of tournament do you want to have when you come back? It's your call my friend? Sealed Deck & Pauper? Booster Draft & EDH? Let the committee know and we'll help set it up!

Unknown said...

yeah, we are definitely planning one for the summer when you are here. you playing for illinois may tip the scales in their favor yet again :), but thats totally ok. i'm sure some of the guys up here are looking to proove themselves even more after this showing.

I'm thinking in the winter we play the challenge, and in the Summer we play an open. Everybody for themselves.

Anonymous said...

hi guys. we would love to be included in the prayer group. we miss and love you two dearly. hurry home! (even if it's just to visit and go back....)

jimmy & judy

Unknown said...

HEY JOSH - I KNOW YOU DONT GET XANGA SO I POSTED IT HERE SO YOU CAN READ IT:

It's my control deck from the tournament. It's biggest nemesis? Mill.

People call it my Fae deck, but really, it's a flashing control deck. Thats all it is. Still, I have done very well with it, and am quite proud of it. It's my build, and I haven't seen anything quite like it. So in a sense, I get to coin it.

Endless Flash control deck.

16 Creatures:
4x Spellsutter Sprite
3x Glen Elendra Prankster
2x Pestermite
1x Wyden of the Biting Gale
2x Plumeveil
1x Benalish Knight
2x Necrataal
1x Guile

18 Spells:
4x Cryptic Command
4x Punish Ignorance
2x Kiss of the Amesha
4x Esper Charm
4x Wrath of God

26 Lands:
4x Secluded Glen
4x Arcane Sanctum
2x Wanderwine Hub
2x Faerie Conclave
2x Fetid Heath
2x Sunken Ruins
4x Esper Panorama
2x Island
2x Plains
2x Swamp

15 Sideboard:
2x Lilliana Vess
1x Cache Raider
2x Shreikmaw
3x Infest
2x Remove Soul
3x Thoughtseize
1x Ghastlord of the Fugue
1x Plumeveil

So yes, this is my deck, and I love it. Too bad I had a bad matchup against Geu, and I couldn't overcome two double muligans to Lhang. Otherwise, you got lucky buddy! If I didn't have muligan land problems with 4 hands, I would have easily swept standard (no offense guys). But the cut is part of the game, so I have no complaints :)

I went 2-2 in standard and 1-2-1 in Limited (my strong suit - go figure). I had a lot of bad luck in this tournament with top decking lands. My deck only had 16 lands in limited too. Oh well.

Vern