mai kao and i stayed in this past weekend and called up the Xiong side of the family. we usually call the Kong's most of the time but this time we decide spend some time with the Xiongs. it was a fun time video skyping with Vern. we got to see little Wester, Linda, Vern, Laj, both sister in laws, talked with grace and tubter. but the most exciting thing for me this weekend was....
skyping a magic game vs. Vern. it was great. I've been away from competitive play for awhile now and got totally wasted by Vern. I wont divulge deck secrets but i will tell you this. Minnesota has gotten lots better. watch out for Vern if he plays serious. my cards that i was playing was totally outclassed by his big guns. after getting destroyed by vern, i spent the afternoon proxying my take on the EsperLark deck. its pretty powerful and has great match ups across the board.
I also realized a lot of my playing weaknesses (as far as MTG goes).
- I overcommit too much to try to kill the opponent faster. it leads to a bunch of 2/3 even 4 for 1's.
- Overcommiting keeps my handsize too low. often times Vern had 5/6 cards to my 2/3. less options and opponents are more likely to know your options.
- I'm not a good aggro player. i dont quite know how much to commit, how much resources to keep. (i think Dlaab Peter is the bestaggro player, he's spent more time playing that archetype than all of us combined.)
I also realized i'm more of a aggro/control or straight combo guy. the following decks are the ones i feel fit me the best (old and new)
- Odyssey U/G madness decks: wild Mongrel, etc.
- Astral Slide deck
- any combo deck
- Reveillark decks
just wanted to post about MTG. sorry folks.
josh out
No comments:
Post a Comment