eating out.
I mean, how can you eat if you can't read Chinese? Unfortunately, my Chinese is so basic, it could only get us fried rice or noodles or kalapaus or dumplings. It might sound like a lot, but trust me, it's really nothing.
We find ourselves walking and walking and walking, trying to figure out where we would like to eat because some places look scary, someplaces look too complex, some places we just plain don't know how to order!
The thing is, if they had a menu handed to you, we could just pine over it, but many places close to us have menus behind the register. So being brave and pointing to the beef vegetable dish is just too hard! You just stand there at the register looking kind of blank and confused.
We get our official teaching assignments today. Well, I already know I'm going to be a 3rd grade classroom teacher. I have a Chinese co-teacher-- her name is Grace. She seems very nice, so I'm excited to work with her. I'm in the Primary school, and will be pretty much involved with only this group of 20 kids. I'll be teaching English (+reading & writing), Social Studies, Science, and Personal Growth (health). I think I can do this. Well, I hope I can.
We had lots of lectures yesterday. Most of our students will be Korean & Japanese kids. So they taught about Korean-Japanese-Chinese culture and the differences between them. Old teachers warned us that some of the outfits students come to school in will blow our minds (i.e. girl in french maid outfit.) Also, don't be weirded out, i.e. boys giving group hand massages during class (which you have every right to stop because it's really distracting!)
My bruise has awesomely evolved, but it doesn't look like a Pokemon, so I can't really name it. We look forward to today b/c we have a banquet and get to do some sightseeing tonight. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment