Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pass Go, Collect $200

That's how the rest of this week will feel!

Today we begin our Midterms. That means we only work till noon. Of course we also have more tests to grade, but we don't teach and kids go home early. YES!

We also have a 3 1/2 day weekend. So what better to do? We're going to Seoul! I'm quite excited. We haven't planned much yet, but I'm printing all my Korean basic phrases now so at least we can get around... sort of.

We just got Josh's laptop fixed. The hard drive blew out, and we were really scared because the most important files in our life were backed and stored on that computer. I fell like I remember Isiah saying once that we should always back up our files. Let me tell you now...

BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!

We're gonna go buy an external hardrive just for this reason cause I really don't want to lose my old college papers, programs, resumes, etc. etc.

RESPONSE TO POSTS WE'VE BEEN READING:

I really liked Yij Second's recent post on describing people in just 1 word. I think they were really on the spot.

Pajjar: You can give your friends these emails: mxiong.shsid@gmail.com or
joshuamongxiong@gmail.com. These our our work addresses, since this is a public post. It'd be great to meet more new friends in Shanghai, and when they arrive, we're definitely willing to help them out as best we can!

Jonah: *sigh* I knew he would like My Car. I really like a lot of the books the author writes (Byron Barton).

Glad Peter found a job.

Judy: I got my wisdom teeth pulledo ut too. All 4 of them cause they were impacted. Was knocked OUT! Even got codine afterwards for the pain cause I was a bloody mess. Hope you get better fast!

Bye for now.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You know this comment was coming.

Internal HD's weren't designed to play multimedia files, they were designed to store static information, meaning information that doesn't stream like video or even music. What's worst, Window's doesn't manage this for you, you have to defrag or use a 3rd party program to do this manually. If you don't do this, even a brand new PC can get the HD blues. I work tech here at Lao Family, we see this way way too often.

Mac's are not immune, but I would bet you a new laptop you wouldnt be having this problem if you owned a Mac. Why? Because instead of storing information 010010100100100 numbers, it's directory doesn't operate with a bios code, meaning, a little shift in one of the 1's or 0's won't mess with your HD needing to spin the needle to find your file. it gets even more cumbersom on the HD when it has to work overtime on a constant stream from a media file. when you are watching a video, it's contantly looking for these 010101001010's. Not so on a Mac.

in the end, you thought you paid less for a pc, but u are only beginning to see the hidden cost of owning a Windows pc.

Unknown said...

you will still need to defrag an external HD.

also, if you hear your HD, it's overworking.

Unknown said...

Mai Kao speaking: very informative speech. thank you. we've considered macs both times we went laptop shopping. i got a new small laptop just before we came back here. we decided to get a little toshiba because this country is just not Mac friendly. it really isn't.

as for our next computer purchase, only time will tell what we will get...!

Unknown said...

if you aren't computer'centric' - then you shouldn't get anything other than a Windows PC. Why do I say this? Because even though a Mac is very compatible with everything you do, it takes a special kind of user to really enjoy a Mac. if you just need a computer, never get a Mac. If you want to enjoy your computing experience and take pleasure in the joys of an intuitive OS, then there is no other choice than Mac OS. But like i said, if you just want a computer, get the cheapest one you can find. but there is a reason why people after using Macs swear by them.

Unknown said...

i hear Windows 7 is nice.

tdXay said...

miss you guys.