Saturday, April 25, 2009

New present

Today, Josh went to one of the first pre-releases in the world. (at least that's what he thinks.) He got a special shiny card: Dragon Broodmother. Way to go!

We trekked in the rain (w/o umbrellas), with a friend , to a part of town we'd never been. It was nearly dark by the time we got to a shady looking, hard to identify apartment building. The inside foyer was dark and grimy, with grey/black molding walls. Josh likens it to one of those, vampire-rave-like buildings. But the word on the street is, go down the hall, around the corner. Take the little elevator up. Go down a hallway again, around another corner and there will be an apartment...

It was locked when we got there. So we knocked... and on the other side...?

The complete opposite of the feeling we got from the building. A warmly lit room, lots of voices and laughing, and an apartment with its walls LINED with shevles of board games! From top to bottom, hundreds of them.

Yes, we finally found a gaming store in Shanghai. And this one operates out of an apartment in a discreet building off of one of the subway lines! There were 3 tables with games in progress, and it was fun to watch Chinese people so excited over board games! None of the games come in Chinese, so they always have their cards in sleeves and proxyed w/ Chinese translations. The store lady was super cool too. She said her favorite game was Powergrid. Which surprises us, cause she knows all about games! (More than Jimmy.) They had basically everything and more... It was like finding a treasure chest.

In the end, we bought Caylus. Josh and I played our first game tonight against each other, and I won by 2 points! It was sheer luck, but I'll take the victory. We're happy though, because we have a few other friends here who understand the awesomness of games, so they'll be playing with us as well.

Yes!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome, we all got a pre-relese card as well. Fun fun.

Johamster and I split for the victory at our table. We also split 14 packs! Wow.

Today I went to the MN Comic con, it's not huge or anything, but it was fun. Me, Lig, Dan and baby. I got a lot of really good stuff there cheap cheap.

xay + lysa's blog said...

I'm glad your enjoying BW tokens!! I'm in the same boat as you, I'm still enjoying it just as much as you!!

You're right on about the two drops, KoM and Sculler!! they're crazy good!!

and as far as Procession or Blossom, they both have their perks. . . Blossom is especially great early on, and late game when the match has kinda stalled, where as Procession, I'm just never sad to see, but doesn't effect the game as much.

What's your sideboard look like? Or i guess more-so, what's your full 75 look like?

When I get home tonight, as I've changed my deck quite a bit, and I'll give you a full run down of mylist!!

Against RDW:
Did you read LSV's thoughts against RDW, before Kyoto? I still fully agree with him. If you're facing a lot of red decks, you know that they're packing Fallout, meaning that you need creatures that are resilient to fallout. In addition to Forgetender, I still use Finks. He's awesome, and really doesn't hurt the curve at all.

Email me your deck list and we'll compare and stuff. EXCITING!!

Ncuab and Pajntsa said...

Hey Josh! We should set up a time where we can playtest on Skype. I'm retooling my 5CC deck to include some Alara Reborn cards and I also have a W/R Kithkin deck. It would be excellent practice for the two of us!

sleicnodnad said...

We got the package today. Thanks a ton! Now I won't feel so awkward carrying around Linda's pink bento box.

The Bears are going to be terrible. At least the Cubs and Bulls are heading in the right direction.